Skip to main content

Road Salt Hazards for Pets: How to Protect Your Pet from the Effects of Road Salt

Road salt hazards for pets can be a real concern. Commonly used to de-ice roads and sidewalks during the winter months, such products can pose a hazard to pets if they come into contact with them. Which is something Pawt4Paws would like to make our pet-loving community aware of, while also offering solutions on how to protect your pet from the effects of road salts!

 

Road Salt Hazards for Pets

When it comes to road salt and the hazards it can pose to pets, the primary concerns are:

 

  1. Chemical burns: Road salt can cause chemical burns on a pet’s paws, skin, and mouth. This is because the salt can be very abrasive and irritating to the skin, causing dryness, cracking, and even bleeding.
  2. Ingestion: Pets may try to lick road salt off their paws, which can result in ingestion of the salt. This can lead to a variety of health problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Ingestion of large amounts of salt can even lead to more serious issues like seizures, coma, and death.
  3. Environmental pollution: Road salt can also be harmful to the environment. When it is washed away into rivers and streams, it can affect the quality of the water and harm aquatic life.

 

How to Protect Your Pet from the Effects of Road Salt

To protect your pet from the hazards of road salt, here are some tips:

 

  1. Use pet-safe ice melt products: There are pet-friendly ice melts available that are less harmful to pets and the environment.
  2. Wipe your pet’s paws after going outside: This can help remove any salt or other de-icing chemicals from their paws before they have a chance to lick them off.
  3. Consider using pet booties: These can protect your pet’s paws from the salt and other hazards on the ground.
  4. Keep your pet away from areas where road salt has been applied: Try to avoid walking your pet on sidewalks or roads that have been treated with salt if possible.
  5. Provide your pet with plenty of fresh water: This can help prevent dehydration if they do ingest some salt.
  6. If you suspect your pet has ingested road salt, seek veterinary care immediately: This can help prevent serious health complications.

 

Can Road Salt Poison Your Pet?

As mentioned on vancouverisawesome.com

According to Dr. Ko Arman, a veterinarian and board director at the Society of BC Veterinarians: Yes, road salt is toxic to cats and dogs.

“This is definitely a valid concern,” Arman tells V.I.A in an email. “The good news is that it’s rare for pets to ingest sufficient quantities of salt to cause systemic symptoms, but it is still important to maintain awareness about the issue.”

“If a pet has ingested a sufficient amount of an ice-melt product like road salt, the best course of action is to seek immediate veterinary care,” says Arman. “Systemic symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, excess thirst, lethargy, incoordination, tremors, seizures, and eventually coma and even death can take place.”

Pawt4Paws Road Salt After-Care

 

It may be inevitable that your pet will come into contact with road salt. However, you can still provide protection and after-care in such cases, with the help of 2 different products we carry.

By apply our protection balm to their paws and nose before going out, it can help to prevent any discomfort. In addition, using our pet skin treatment  can help with your pet’s winter skincare routine as well, making an excellent after-bath treatment to add to their routine.

 

Question? Feel free to contact us! We would be happy to answer any questions you may have. – or connect with us via FacebookInstagram or our contact us page to stay informed on our latest products, services, sales or promotions.

 

We look forward to helping you with the health and wellbeing of your pet – every season of the year!