Skip to main content

Poisonous Plants and Pets

When it comes to hiking and exploring the outdoors with pets or even hanging out in the back yard, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers that certain plants can pose to your furry companions. While most plants are harmless, there are some outdoor plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats if ingested.

 

What are some common poisonous plants to be aware of?

 

  1. Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

These plants contain a toxic oil called urushiol, which can cause skin rashes, itching, and even more severe reactions in some pets.

  1. Sago Palm

All parts of this plant are highly toxic to pets and can cause liver failure if ingested.

  1. Lily Plants

Certain species of lilies, such as Easter lilies or Peace lilies are highly toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure.

  1. Azaleas and Rhododendrons

These flowering shrubs contain toxins that can affect a pet’s gastrointestinal system, leading to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

  1. Oleander

This popular outdoor plant is extremely toxic to both dogs and cats and can cause serious cardiac issues if ingested.

 

The Signs of Plant Poisoning

 

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Changes in heart rate
  • Tremors or seizures
  • Swelling or irritation of the mouth, tongue, or throat

 

What preventive measures can be taken?

 

  • Learn to identify poisonous plants in your area and avoid hiking in areas where they are prevalent.
  • Keep your pet on a leash during hikes to prevent them from wandering off and potentially encountering toxic plants.
  • Train your pet to avoid eating plants or anything found on the ground during your hikes.
  • Consider using pet-friendly insect repellents and protective gear to prevent exposure to plants like poison ivy.
  • If you have a garden or landscaping with potentially toxic plants, create barriers or fenced areas to keep your pets away from them.

 

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Poisonous Plant

 

  • Contact your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately for guidance.
  • If possible, take a sample or photo of the plant to help with identification.
  • Do not induce vomiting or administer any medication without professional advice, as some remedies can be harmful depending on the specific plant ingested.

 

Remember, prevention is key when it comes to keeping your pets safe during outdoor adventures. By being aware of the potential dangers and taking necessary precautions, you can ensure an enjoyable and safe hiking experience for both you and your furry friend.

 

Here is a great reference database that includes both toxic and non-toxic plants to pets, aspca.org/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants even provides additional common names. This is a great resource to check out.

 

Feel free to contact us via email info@pawt4paws.com or phone 1-888-898-9080 for any needs you might have pertaining to the above, or regarding our products and how they might ease the stress created from your pet’s experience.