Cannabidiol (CBD) has surged in popularity as a potential health and wellness option for both humans and pets. With a growing body of testimonies and studies supporting its benefits, CBD has captured the attention of individuals seeking natural remedies. In this blog, we will explore what CBD is, how it works, and why it has become a go-to choice for many.
CBD is a naturally occurring chemical compound derived from the cannabis plant. Unlike its psychoactive cousin, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD does not induce a “high” sensation. Instead, consuming CBD in recommended dosages may lead to mild effects like relaxation or a slight upset stomach if taken excessively.
The Terminology Confusion
The terms cannabis, marijuana, and hemp are often used interchangeably when discussing CBD, causing confusion. In reality, the cannabis plant has two primary varieties: hemp and marijuana. Both contain CBD, but hemp boasts a significantly higher CBD concentration and minimal THC content compared to marijuana.
When you come across hemp seed oil in health food or grocery stores, it is essential to note that this oil is extracted from hemp seeds and lacks cannabinoids like CBD or THC. However, hemp seed oil is rich with healthy fats and often appears in hemp supplements and beauty products as it has many benefits as well.
The Endocannabinoid System: A Key Player
Both humans and pets possess a remarkable internal system known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which plays a pivotal role in processing and even generating their own cannabinoids. The ECS is distributed throughout the brain and nervous system and is involved in regulating a wide range of bodily functions, including appetite, pain modulation, digestion, reproduction, motor learning, stress management, and memory.
CB1 and CB2 Receptors: The ECS’s Building Blocks
Within the ECS, two primary types of receptors exist: CB1 and CB2 receptors, each responsible for different functions:
- CB1 Receptors: These receptors are vital for maintaining a healthy functioning brain. They are among the most prevalent receptors in the entire nervous system. Depending on their location within the brain, CB1 receptors control various functions, including memory, mood, motor function, and pain perception. CBD interacts with CB1 receptors, potentially offering relief from central nervous system disorders such as depression, anxiety, fear, paranoia, intestinal inflammation, high blood pressure, seizures, epilepsy, nausea, and asthma.
- CB2 Receptors: CB2 receptors are primarily found on immune system cells and are instrumental in moderating inflammation and immune responses. If you use CBD products to manage conditions related to an overactive immune system, such as arthritis, asthma, allergies, autoimmune disorders, or inflammatory bowel disease, you can credit the benefits to your CB2 receptors.
Personalized Responses to CBD
Because CB receptors control numerous aspects of the nervous and immune systems, and because each individual’s metabolism is unique, the effects of CBD can vary greatly among people and pets. Predicting one’s reaction to CBD often requires self-experimentation, as the response may be influenced by factors such as dosage, individual body chemistry, and the specific condition being targeted.
Why CBD Works for Humans:
- Anxiety and Stress Relief: CBD has been widely studied for its anxiolytic properties. Many individuals use it to alleviate symptoms of anxiety and stress. Research suggests that CBD can modulate the brain’s response to stress, leading to a sense of calm and relaxation.
- Pain Management: CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain-relieving) effects. It can help reduce chronic pain, such as arthritis or neuropathic pain, by reducing inflammation and altering pain perception.
- Neuroprotective Properties: CBD has demonstrated neuroprotective properties in various studies. It may offer potential benefits for individuals with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s by protecting brain cells from damage.
- Epilepsy and Seizures: One of the most well-documented uses of CBD is in the treatment of epilepsy and seizure disorders. The FDA has approved a CBD-based medication called Epidiolex for the treatment of certain forms of epilepsy.
Why CBD Works for Pets:
- Anxiety and Behavior Issues: Just like humans, pets can suffer from anxiety and behavior problems. CBD can help calm nervous pets, reduce separation anxiety, and improve overall behavior.
- Pain Management: Dogs and cats can experience pain due to aging, injury, or illness. CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties can provide relief for joint pain, arthritis, and other sources of discomfort.
- Epilepsy and Seizures: Similar to humans, some pets, especially dogs, may suffer from epilepsy and seizures. CBD has shown promise in reducing the frequency and severity of seizures in pets.
- Appetite Stimulation and Nausea Relief: CBD can help stimulate the appetite in pets that have lost interest in food due to illness or treatment. It also offers relief from nausea and vomiting, especially in pets undergoing chemotherapy.
CBD’s widespread adoption for both pets and humans can be attributed to its interaction with the endocannabinoid system and the numerous potential benefits it offers. As ongoing research continues to shed light on CBD’s capabilities, it is becoming increasingly clear why so many individuals are turning to this natural compound as a promising option for improving health and well-being. Whether you’re seeking relief from pain, anxiety, inflammation, or various other conditions, CBD may hold the key to a brighter and more comfortable future for both you and your beloved pets.
Feel free to contact us via email email@example.com or phone 1-888-898-9080 for any needs you might have pertaining to the above, or regarding our products and how they might ease the stress created from your pet’s experience.
CBD Dehydrated Peace Dog Treats: Blueberries, Oats & Chamomile$24.99
CBD Dehydrated Power Dog Treats: Pumpkin, Peanut Butter and Turmeric$24.99
CBD Oil for Large Dogs 1600mg$84.99
CBD Oil for Giant Dogs 2200mg$104.99
CBD Oil For Cats Salmon Flavour$32.99
CBD Oil for Medium Dogs 1000mg$64.99
CBD Oil for Small Dogs 400mg$32.99
CBD Cream Pet Skin Treatment$33.99
CBD Protection Balm for Pets$22.99