Skip to main content

Lawn Fertilizer Allergies in Dogs – Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, …

Is it possible for lawn fertilizer to pose a danger to my pet? The potential health hazards that fertilizer can present to your pet. Based on our own story!

 

 

We all want our gardens to flourish with lush greenery and beautiful blossoms. And to achieve that, many of us resort to using fertilizers for lawn care. While fertilizers can be beneficial for plant growth, they can also pose unforeseen risks to our furry friends. This was the case for a Pawt4Paws staff members cat Tycho, who wants to share her story on how important fertilizer safety is.

 

Tycho’s Story

Tycho my five-year-old shorthair cat has always loved being outside in the sun and grass. When he is outside, he is always on his leash and harness while being supervised. On this particular Sunday, we went outside like usual, along with his best friend Hammond a longhair cat that loves to roll in dirt. While they were out exploring both cats ate grass and sat under a cedar for shade. After a while, we went inside, and Hammond had a bath because of his favorite dirt-rolling pastime. The evening routine went like every other day: Dinner, movie, and bedtime.

At 3:30 am I was woken by the worst scream any pet owner wants to hear. I rushed from my room and found Tycho on the hallway floor having a seizure. He was lying on his side with uncontrollable muscle activity, kicking his legs, like he was swimming, and had no bladder control. I couldn’t do anything to help him till the seizure was finished. Once it was finished, he was scared and cautious, honestly so was I.

I took him to the vet immediately; they checked him over and did bloodwork. The exam showed no irregularities and nothing they could determine as the reason for the seizure. The vet was confident it was a toxin in the system that caused it. So, when I got home I searched the house; found no chewed plants and no chemicals accessible to him. I was at a loss and scared it was something more serious.

After a few days of no sleep and fear of another seizure, I talked with my Husband in detail about the incident. I explained to him what the cats did outside. When I mentioned they were sitting under in a cedar he cut me off in a panic and said, “What cedar”. In his panic he told me that there was fertilizer in it, I had no idea, or the cats would have stayed inside. Due to the warm weather, and the sprinklers not being turned on the fertilizer that was under the cedar had not soaked in or diluted yet. This was when everything started to make sense.

Tycho was in the cedar and so was Hammond, but Hammond got a bath as he was filthy from rolling in the dry dirt which is why he did not react. Tycho didn’t get a bath, but he sat with the fertilizer on him till he groomed himself. In about 6 hours he ingested it and had a seizure.

I have worked with animals for close to 10 years, and know the danger of fertilizer around pets, but this shows you can’t be perfect, and mistakes happen. However, all we can do is our best to avoid toxins to keep our furry friends safe. When you put out fertilizer or weed killer keep your pets inside for at least a few days, and make sure to run the sprinklers or water the area to get the chemicals to soak in and dilute.

 

Symptoms of Fertilizer Poisoning in Pet’s

Symptoms of fertilizer poisoning in pets can vary depending on the type of fertilizer and the severity of exposure. Here are some common symptoms that may indicate fertilizer poisoning in cats and dogs.

 

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling and excessive salivation
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Skin irritation
  • Increased thirst and urination

 

What can we learn from this? and how to prevent your cat or dog from lawn fertilizers infection?

 

Pets can be at risk of harm from certain types of fertilizers, particularly those that contain chemicals that are toxic to animals. Some fertilizers can cause skin irritation, stomach upset, and even more severe health problems like organ damage or poisoning if ingested.

Here are some tips to keep your pets safe around fertilizers:

  1. Choose pet-friendly or organic fertilizers: Look for fertilizers that are labeled as pet-friendly, organic fertilizer, or natural. These products are less likely to contain harmful chemicals that can be dangerous to your pets.
  2. Keep pets away from recently fertilized areas: After applying fertilizer, keep your pets away from the treated area until the product has been absorbed or until the recommended waiting period has passed. This can help prevent them from coming into contact with the product or ingesting it.
  3. Store fertilizers securely: Keep fertilizers and all garden products out of reach of your pets by storing them in a secure location, such as a locked shed or cabinet.
  4. Read the label carefully: Always read the label on fertilizers and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. This will help you use the product safely and avoid any risks to your pets.
  5. Rinse off your pets: If your pet does come into contact with fertilizer or soil, rinse them off with water immediately to remove any residue from their skin or fur.

As discussed in wagwalking.com/cat the treatment of fertilizer poisoning in cats or in dogs wagwalking.com/dog….

Consult a vet for fertilizer poisoning symptoms. Provide info on exposure and ingestion. Bring fertilizer ingredient list or a picture of the packaging. Physical exam detects symptoms and assesses severity. Blood test reveals mineral concentrations and abnormalities.

In addition to consulting a veterinarian, here are some additional steps you should take:

  1. Remove access to the fertilizer: Ensure that your pet cannot reach or consume any more of the fertilizer. Put it away in a secure location or block off the area where it is stored.
  2. Check for visible signs of ingestion: Look for any traces of fertilizer around your pet’s mouth, paws, or on their fur. This can provide evidence of recent contact with the substance.
  3. Rinse your pet’s mouth: If you see fertilizer residue around their mouth, use a damp cloth or paper towel to gently wipe away any remaining substance. This can help prevent further ingestion and reduce the risk of irritation.
  4. Monitor your pet’s behavior: Keep a close eye on your cat for any unusual symptoms or changes in behavior. These may include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, lethargy, loss of appetite, or difficulty breathing.
  5. Collect information on the fertilizer: Gather details about the fertilizer your pet may have consumed, such as the brand name, specific product, and its active ingredients. This information will be helpful for the vet to determine the potential toxicity and appropriate treatment.

Overall, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers of fertilizers and take steps to keep your pets safe. By choosing pet-friendly products, keeping your pets away from treated areas, and storing fertilizers securely, you can help reduce the risk of harm to your furry friends.

Feel free to contact us via email info@pawt4paws.com or phone 1-888-898-9080 for any needs you might have pertaining to the above, or regarding our products and how they might ease the stress created from your pet’s experience.